Tuesday, May 24, 2011

New Direction Same Old Problems

Yesterday's meeting was really helpful. I'm glad I recorded it with my livescribe. I have decided to incorporate cultural genocide as a lens to really bring things together for me conceptually. I have to think of it in terms of coding. So I think over the next two weeks I will meet with Alex and get him to help me with making the connection between cultural genocide and discursive identity. It seems intuitive to me. But I know I need to explain it really well. I might want to double back and revisit Bernstein. Bloomfield definitely has the students I want to write about, but I have to schedule some classroom visitations I think. I need to sit in the back of the room in their worst classes and record. I think that is all I am missing thus far. I'm going to have a closer listen at what I've got and talk to GT about whether he has any really challenged students. I think I have an idea of who I want to observe. I have two more teachers to talk to. I may be able to observe one of them over the summer! Woo hoo. We're working at a summer program together. I actually think I'll start with my recordings and Dan's. This Saturday I'll drive out to New Brunswick and get started. I still have readings to complete in genocide studies. If I can complete those before Saturday and print out my lit review, I would be off to a good start. Off we go...

No comments:

Post a Comment