Sunday, July 31, 2011

So what will this book look like?

I was just thinking while listening to DD's interview that I want to start from the interviews. Of course after I do the required review of literature and framework and methodology sections, I'll depart with discussions about the teachers as individuals. From there I think I will discuss their perceptions of how their identity influences their interactions with their students and their perceptions of discourse. Those interviews were so interesting, that it will immediately grab the reader's attention. After that, I will tie in some of the theories with their discussions about their perceptions of how identity influences discourse. The focus groups will be the next chapter, and again I'll start with a discussion of how they are perceiving themselves and the state of education. I'll talk about how all of this influences discourse identity. I think some of the literature we read in Alan's class will become useful at this point.

The next chapter will be about the classroom sessions. What I am realizing is that I want to sit in and observe the teachers myself. Not even so much to code the sessions, but just to see if there is evidence of how their beliefs match up with what they are saying int he focus groups and individual interviews.

I'll end with analysis and conclusions. I had the idea the other day to contact Jeff to see if he wants to come to ECA and talk to me about how to use those data and also about how to code and analyze the other data I have. That might be a really good idea. I'll get in touch with him towards the end of August.

No comments:

Post a Comment